Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Vbulletin Can go to Hell

Just so that I don't forget to say "HELLLL NO!" next time someone asks me to work on a vbulletin site. I'm going to post my reasoning here:
  1. The community sucks! Whenever I want to learn how to do something "outside the box" with Vbulletin I start with a google search, this invariable leads me to a "forum post" that generally says "go to vbulletin.org" no link to a relevant help article or piece of doccumentation, just vbulleting.org. That would be fine if vbulletin.org was useful. But it's not, its just a vbulletin forum that you can only read the helpful info if your are a registered user.
  2. Apparently the people at vbulletin have never heard of an API the closest thing they have is a user contributed hack from two years ago which doesn't fully work with the latest version of vbulletin.
  3. Its community supported pay-ware. WTF!?! So the interactive support comes in the form of a forum powered by users, and I have to pay for access? That's bullshit!
In summary vbulletin is a steaming pile. Also, there are plenty of other forum solutions out there that are free as in beer as well as open source. I bet they don't make you pay for access to their community supported documention/support. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment